Monday, March 11, 2013

First field trip...

Learning about this steam engine.
It's taken me seven months, but I finally took Marci on a field trip last Friday. We went with a small group of home school families to visit the Southeastern Railway Museum. When I told Marci we were going to go visit a train museum he wasn't very impressed. He wanted to take a train trip (like we'd done in Budapest), not just look at a bunch of trains. But once we arrived at the museum he changed his mind and decided it was a great thing after all. : )

Sitting in the cupola.
We learned a lot about trains and transportation here in Georgia. We walked through many train cars that gave us an idea of what it would have been like to travel by train 100 years ago. 

After our guided tour was over, Marci and I went to the gift shop. I promised him we'd pick out something for him to take home with him. I was pleasantly surprised to find that many of their gift items were less expensive than I'd assumed. So Marci was able to come home with a small train set of his own. 

Creating his town.
Thanks to a very imaginative child, our living room is now set up with his train set and the western town he received from his Aunt and Uncle at Christmas. He's been playing with it for the last several days now. He continues to come up with new ideas of what he can do with the train. You can imagine his delight when he found out the train will run without the track! It ran through our living room and dining room, carrying the small people from the western town. According to Marci, they were headed to another town! : )

Marci handled his first field trip very well. He behaved himself and got along well with the other children. They were all younger than him, but he didn't seem to mind. I think I'll try to find another field trip to take him on next month. It's good for us to get out of the house, and it's good for Marci to be with other kids whenever he can.

No comments:

Post a Comment