I've hesitated to update this blog because the past few weeks have been full of ups and downs in regards to Marci's hearing surgery. We had his original surgery scheduled for May 8th, but that had to be postponed because of our insurance company denying the claim. It's a very long story, but basically it comes down to this...we were told when we purchased our individual insurance policies last year that hearing surgery would be covered. In fact, the policy only states that HEARING AIDS are excluded from the policy coverage. That is not unusual for insurance companies (sad to say), so I wasn't surprised at all by that.
After speaking with an insurance representative last week, I found out that they have changed their GROUP policies to include hearing surgeries such as Marci's. But they have no plans to change their individual policies at all. It's very frustrating, and we are looking at other options at this time.
Currently I'm working on grant paperwork that might help us pay for a portion of the surgery (IF we receive the grant). I'm also waiting to hear back from an ABC News reporter who wants to interview us in regards to Coventry Health Care's status and our claim. She was scheduled to come out this past Tuesday, but a bigger news story came up and she said she'd be back in touch with us soon. So far I haven't heard anything from her.
We have started an online petition where people can sign their name if they would like Coventry Health Care to receive notice that we are not happy about their seemingly unfair bent toward group policies as opposed to individual ones. You can find it here: Petition.
So my next step will be looking into fund raising ideas. There are many options online these days, and I'm trying to find just the right thing that might help us raise some funds for Marci's surgery. The new date is June 5th, and I'm praying we will have enough money to move ahead with it by then. (Or perhaps the insurance company will make another policy change by then and we'll be covered for the surgery part of the procedure. I'm not ruling that out at all. God is powerful and I know HE can do anything!)

No comments:
Post a Comment