I won't go into all that transpired while I was there, but let's just say that, starting with the phone call I received one and a half hours before his appointment was scheduled, and ending 45 minutes AFTER we arrived at the dentist's office, I was told 3 different stories as far as what Marc needed to have done.
It really did have a lot to do with the fact that our "wonderful" (and I use that word with great sarcasm) insurance company (yes, it's the same one we have for our medical needs) refused to cover the procedure the dentist had told us Marc would need (a crown on two of his baby teeth to keep them from getting worse before his other teeth come in).
But anyhow...after talking with several different people and getting three different stories about what they were going to do to my son, I told them I was about to get up and leave. I was very kind, but they knew I was frustrated. I told them I didn't feel I could trust them. How was I to believe what they said, when everyone I'd talked to told me something different? (The momma bear in me was starting to come out!)
Finally, I was able to talk with the "head" dentist (the woman who runs the entire operation there), and she was very humble and apologized profusely for how things had been handled. She took the blame all on herself and asked me to forgive her. I have to confess that, just a few moments before I thought there was absolutely NOTHING that could have been said to me that would have made me change my mind about leaving and getting a second opinion. But her very humble attitude, and the fact that she is a mother herself, helped the situation tremendously and made my momma bear claws go back inside their paws. : )
It was a very strange feeling for me yesterday. Although I have loved Marc since the day we saw his picture, the love in my heart yesterday was a far cry from the tiny bit of love I felt for him back then. I realized that I would do whatever I needed to do to give my son the best care I knew how. I knew that if it meant being embarrassed or inconvenienced, I would do it...IF it meant that my little boy would be given the help he needed.
It's interesting how my mother's heart has changed over the past months. Without even realizing it I've become a momma bear. Who would have thought it???
No comments:
Post a Comment