Friday, October 28, 2011

Time Away...

Just recently it dawned on us that we'd not had some time away alone for the past 12 months. So last weekend Bruce and I had made time to get away for a few days. It was wonderful!

Thanks to a generous gift from a family member, we were able to spend two nights in a hotel in Asheville, NC for free. With all the money we've been spending on the adoption, and the money still to be spent, we didn't feel we could afford to go away and do anything, plus spend money on a hotel. So this gift was a very special blessing at just the right time!

Our time in Asheville included a tour of the grand and beautiful Biltmore Estates. If you've never been there, I'd encourage you to visit just once. It's worth the price of admission. We learned so much about the history of the home and the family, but we also saw some beautiful architecture and "things". 

One thing that hit me as we were walking through the amazing library and one of the many sitting rooms . . . as beautiful as those rooms were, and as obvious as it was that great thought had gone into each one of them. . . my heart was touched with the realization that our Heavenly Father has put SO much more thought and effort into our eternal home in heaven. 

I was overwhelmed to stop and think that the earthly beauty I was taking in that day (beauty had been made by human hands) was not even close to what I would see when I get to heaven some day. I was grateful for that reminder, and it changed the way I looked at everything else I saw that day.

This adoption process has been strenuous at times . . . so much paperwork to fill out; so much waiting to do. Too much time to start thinking about the "what ifs" that could happen. 



But this past weekend was fantastic! We needed the time to relax, unwind, and renew our spirits together. I'm praising God for giving us this gift in the middle of the craziness of the adoption process. He new exactly what we needed at exactly the right time. 


Now . . . on to the rest of that paperwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment