Thursday, August 9, 2012

A new understanding...

I love how God uses different things to get our attention and help us see things in a new light. He did that for me two nights ago. 

My parents, sister and I traveled to South Carolina to attend the memorial service for my cousin Rick. (He had died quite unexpectedly last Friday morning.) Rick was special to me in many ways. First, he was one of only two male cousins I have on that particular side of the family. Second, he officiated at our wedding 22 years ago. Third, he and his wife, Barb, have become good friends (as well as relatives) of ours over the years. And fourth (and by no means, the least of these), he always treated me like I was someone important enough to listen to. He had a knack for doing that with people. 

So while we were sitting in the memorial service, I began to think back at the Rick I had grown up knowing when I was younger. He was full of life, and sometimes, full of mischief. : )  He was often described as hyperactive, because he was always moving and never wanted to be still. 

That younger version of Rick grew up to be an extremely godly man who continued to always be "on the move". He loved life and loved people. In fact, he loved life so much that he wanted to live it to the fullest. And he did. While living life to the fullest, he brought many people to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ...because he loved his Savior even more than he loved life itself. 

As I remembered Rick as a young boy and young adult, I remember some people thinking he wouldn't amount to much. They even looked down on him because he didn't conform to what they thought he should be. Now here's where the Lord used Rick's life to help me see something I've needed to see about our new son.

Marci is very much like my cousin Rick used to be when he was little. He is FULL of life and FULL of energy and loves to laugh and loves to be silly. Some of these things have been difficult for me over the past few months, and I've found myself trying to squelch some of his excitement because I felt like it didn't fit the mold I thought he should be in. 

But the Lord reminded me that he has a plan for our son, and He wants to use Marci's exuberance for life and all his energy to work out the plan He has for him. So two nights ago I let go of my desire to "reign in" our son's love for life. I am going to do my best to direct him in a healthy way so he doesn't lose his love for life or his love for people. I am going to begin to pray now that Marci will grow up to love the Lord Jesus as much (or more) than my cousin Rick did. And that the Lord might use Marci to lead many souls to Himself in the years ahead.

I'm grateful the Lord gave me this insight when I least expected it. I pray I will remember it in the years to come, as I know there will be other times when I try to control some aspect of our son's life that really doesn't need my control at all. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment