Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Home Schooling . . .

So today was the third day of our "official" home schooling with Marci. I've already seen some really good things coming out of our home schooling him this year. I've also experienced some very difficult times (yes, that's right...it's only been 3 days and I'm already experiencing some hard times).

 Monday Marci had a hard time settling down and wasn't willing to listen or receive instruction. But yesterday was WONDERFUL! He seemed to remember nearly everything we'd gone over on Monday and he had a fantastic attitude the entire day. Today was back to the way it had been on Monday. (sigh) BUT...I know if I am just consistent and continue this new "routine", he'll get used to it and even accept it. It's all new to him, and I know it has to be a bit overwhelming.

We've been working on counting and letters since we came back from Hungary. Marci's been very good about counting to 10 (in English) for quite awhile now, but hadn't been able to get much past 11 without messing things up. But we started working on both things (in earnest) on Monday.  This morning he counted to 30 with only a few mix-ups along the way! And yesterday he wrote out his numbers up to 30. And he's learning his English alphabet now, so that's helping him build small words in English as well. 

I'm really quite impressed with his capability to learn new things. His language skills are coming along really well, and the more he remembers, the more excited he gets. It's fun to see his eyes light up when he knows he's said something correctly. 

I am learning, as most home school moms have learned at some point, that I need to take one day at a time, and trust the Lord to give me the wisdom and strength I need to teach our son what he will need to know in the future. 

I'd appreciate your prayers as I navigate this new arena of home schooling. Although I have many friends who have been teaching their children for years, this is all quite new to me. Please pray for me to have wisdom and patience, and above all....LOVE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment