Today was another milestone in the life of our son. He received his social security card! We've been waiting for this for the past few months, as we are unable to open a savings account for Marci at the bank without this much-needed little card. Last Friday, my dear friend Beth rode with me to the Social Security office so I could hand in all the paperwork they needed to get the ball rolling on his card.
It's really amazing all the hoops you have to jump through when you've adopted a child from outside the U.S. They require so many original documents (no photocopies or notarized copies) to prove you are who you say you are and your child is who you say he/she is. Anyhow, we went to the office last Friday and after over an hour of waiting I was told that the computers were not working correctly and they were unable to verify Marci's immigration papers at that time. The worker assured me he would keep trying and that as soon as they could verify everything, his social security card would be in the mail. But he cautioned me that it could take up to four weeks for us to receive it.
Although that news wasn't the end of the world to us, it was still a frustration in the way things are handled and all the steps that have to be done before you can get your adopted child a social security card here in the States. But my friend and I left the building and I left my frustrations with the Lord. I knew He was in control and He would take care of everything in HIS time.
So, quite honestly, when I opened the mail today and saw his card there, I was pretty surprised. It took them just 7 days to get the card to us (not the four weeks I'd expected)! I am praising God for HIS timing today, and for another reminder that He will take care of all the details.
So it looks like I'll add a trip to the bank to the list of things we'll be doing on Monday morning. : )

No comments:
Post a Comment