The title of this blog says it all. And what led me to this conclusion? Well, for starters, every day this week has been different when it comes to our homeschooling. Monday was great. Marci was all gung-ho about getting his school work finished and doing it well. We laughed and joked and played together on and off all day, and I felt as if we'd turned a corner in our relationship of me being the teacher and he being the student.
Tuesday, however, was not a good day. I knew right away that our son was tired. He seemed to sleep alright the night before, but he woke up still tired. I should have had a clue that it might mean a harder homeschool time. Unfortunately I didn't listen to the little voice in my head that said "don't push him today." I pushed and he pushed back (not literally, of course!). But after I figured out what the problem was, and after a short nap on Marci's part, school finished up well. It just flowed into our afternoon instead of being finished in the morning. And the corner I thought we'd turned the day before seemed to be looming up ahead of us again.
Today was another good day. He responded well and even remembered some of the things he'd had a problem with yesterday. He felt triumphant when he could find the states on the U.S. map. (He doesn't know all 50 yet, but DOES know where Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, and Indiana are! Of course I have to prompt him for a few of those, but for the most part, he can find them.) He recognized words he hadn't remembered a few days before. He treated me with respect and we laughed together throughout part of our school time. Once again I saw that corner in my rear view mirror.
So what should I expect tomorrow? Hmmm...if the pattern continues I might be in for a hard day again tomorrow. And that corner might be looming ahead of us again. But I'm determined to keep at it. I know that homeschooling Marci is for the best and I believe he's coming along well as he learns a new language (English) and works his way through what most children learn before kindergarten.
But seriously, I applaud all the homeschool moms out there. Spending all day with your children is not easy (although it IS very rewarding!). And being mom AND teacher can be very difficult. But I'm thankful God gives us all grace exactly when we need it. (And for those of us who are homeschooling, that grace is needed every minute of every day!)
No comments:
Post a Comment