Monday, December 10, 2012

Disappointed, but not down-hearted...

Here I am again apologize for taking so long between posts. So much has happened in the past month it would be very hard to catch you all up on things in just one page. So today I'll focus on the most recent happenings and then try to post again in the next few days to catch you up on general happenings in our lives.

Marci waiting in line to
see the Polar Express in 4D.
He could hear the train coming!
Last night, after a wonderful visit to Stone Mountain with my parents (see pictures), I noticed an email pop in from the doctor in Virginia we've been waiting to hear from. (This man was highly recommended to us by Marci's ENT doctor. He is, apparently, one of the best-known surgeons to do the Atresia surgery . . . fixing the inner ear and creating the needed canals). Although I really wanted to take the time to read the email right then, it was late, and Marci had been out longer than normal. So we first put Marci to bed and then sat down to take a closer look at the long-awaited email.

Waiting for the train to
go around the mountain.
We'd been told by Marci's ENT doctor that Marci looked like a good candidate for the Atresia surgery, so we thought it would just be a matter of waiting on the confirmation to come from the surgeon. We were wrong. Unfortunately there are too many risk factors in Marci's case. He is not a good candidate for the surgery after all. Of course we were extremely disappointed for Marci's sake. We want to do whatever is needed to make his life better, and we've been praying for God to show us exactly what that might be.

The surgeon DID recommend to us that we should look into having a bone anchored hearing device implanted (also called a BAHA). Although we wished the other surgery would be possible for Marci, we are grateful God is directing us to the next possibility for him. We have an appointment Dec. 18th for Marci to meet with a pediatric specialist who works with implanting the BAHA device in children. 

Some of the beautiful lights
at Stone Mountain Park.
So, even in our disappointment, God is faithful to light our way. We are hopeful that the pediatric specialist will tell us Marci is well-suited for the BAHA devices. He already hears better with his bone conducting (over the head) hearing aids, so the bone anchored aids should give him an even higher level of hearing. We're looking forward to what God will have for Marci in the days ahead. We'd appreciate your continued prayers.


3 comments:

  1. I didn't even realize that you and your family were considering this with Marci. I pray for God's wisdom and favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to pray for your regularly, Karen. I'm sure you are disappointed, but God has a greater plan. Keep trusting!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Peter and Val. We appreciate your prayers and interest in our lives.

    ReplyDelete