Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sacrificial Giving . . .

I'm a giver at heart...I love to give gifts and see people's faces when they receive something they enjoy. I love to give of my time and talents, especially when I know what I'm doing will help or encourage someone else in some small way. 

But I have to confess that much of my giving has been out of our own abundance. I'm not sure I truly understand what it takes to give sacrificially. A few weeks ago I started praying for the Lord to help me understand what true sacrificial giving is all about, and to help me see how I can begin giving more extravagantly.


Over the past few weeks the Lord has shown me, through our own friends and family, just what sacrificial giving looks like. We have had several gifts come in over the past week or so, from people I know had to have sacrificed in order to send us money to add to the adoption fund.


Today we received an exceptionally special gift. Don't get me wrong...ALL the gifts that have been given have been very special, and greatly appreciated! But today's gift came from people who do not have any extra money to give. I know that in order for them to have given us anything at all, it had to have been planned out . . . setting money aside . . . thinking of ways to creatively save so they could then give it away. We are humbled by this unselfish act of kindness and love, and today I've been praying for the Lord to pour out His blessings on this family in ways they could never imagine. And their act of extravagance has encouraged me to think even more about giving of my money, my time, and myself sacrificially, and not just out of our abundance.


Think about it...what are you willing to sacrifice so you can bless someone else today?



No comments:

Post a Comment