Sunday, May 20, 2012

Child-like wonder . . .

I wonder when it is, exactly, that most of us lose our child-like wonder . . . do you know when it happened to you? I've been reflecting on this thought a lot this past week as I watch our son stare in wonderment (usually with his mouth hanging open!) at police cars, ambulances, military personnel, a dog walking down the street, street cars (trams) running alongside each other, the light in his room swinging because the wind is blowing through the room, a mother duck and her babies floating across a pond, a motorcycle buzzing down the street, a movie he's watched 10 times before, and various other things that catch his attention.

I've been trying to look at things through his eyes...wondering just what it is that keeps a child so captivated. What was it that used to captivate my attention? What is that captivates it now? Hmmm.....so much to think about these days. And nearly everything leads me back to my relationship with my Heavenly Father. 

I think that somewhere along the line police cars, ambulances, street cars, etc. stopped holding my attention. I am used to them now and they do not fascinate me the way they once did. The child-like wonder is gone for those things. But when I watch our son stop and wait just to wave at the subway train driver, and look genuinely thrilled when the driver waves back (and maybe even honks the horn!), I think how nice it would be if I'd not lost that child-like wonder for simple things. 

One thing I know for sure...I pray I NEVER lose my child-like wonder when it comes to  my relationship with the Lord.  HE forever deserves my amazement and awe, and He continually does things to catch and hold my attention. The mere fact that HE is Who HE is, and I am who I am should be enough to keep me standing there, looking heavenward with my mouth hanging open for the rest of my life!   : )

No comments:

Post a Comment